HELP -More about location or "Near" and miles
Note: On many browsers I have popped up another window for this help. Please close it when you are done with this help (if your browser back button does not work).
This feature allows you to enter in either a USA Zip Code or a USA City and State.
It then tries to find your location based on that information. If it finds your location,
it uses that information along with the number of miles you selected (from 1 to 99 miles)
to search the database for meetings in that area. Using this "Near" feature
will currently only find meetings in USA.
Location or "Near" (To find meetings near you):
As mentioned, the meeting lookup by entering your location currently only works in the
USA, but future plans include the rest of the world. There are several features of the
lookup that work "behind the screens". If you experience any
difficulty, or want to best understand how it works, please keep reading.
- If you don't enter any location, simply select the Country and you will be walked
through to a list of meetings in a particular area.
- To find meetings in a Country other than USA, select the Country of interest. To find
Internet meetings, select the Country Internet.
- If you enter a Zip Code (with or without entering any City or State information, it
tries to use the Zip Code first. If only a Zip Code is entered
and it can't find it, it will ask you to enter your City and State before the Zip Code.
If it then finds your entered City and State, you are all set!
- If you enter in both a Zip Code along with a City and State,
and it can't find a location based on your Zip Code, it will try to use your City and
State information, and remove your Zip Code. If it finds your City and State, again, you
are all set!
- Note that the Country is already listed when you select a Country, so entering in a
Country name along with City and State or Zip Code will only confuse the program.
- The miles from your location to a meeting are sometimes called "crow miles" or
"as the crow flies" because they are based on a straight line from your location
to the meeting. Because of this, the actual driving miles will usually be greater.
Thanks much, and please let us know if you experience any difficulties, or if you have
any ideas on how we could improve this service.